Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Where I'm From, an Original Poem


Where I’m From


I am from the spotlight,

from song lyrics and broadway.
I am from my obsession with One Direction
and their music that I connect with.
I am from the open fields and kiwi’s.
National anthems that speak the beauty of
         the country.
I am from 1 school just 3 different campuses
           that I can all call home.
I am from barbie dolls and
numerous numbers of skirts and dresses.
Walking down the stairs all dressed up,
pretending it was a fashion shows where I was the star.
I’d do this for hours with my friends.
I am from the baby blanket that was my company whilst I dreamt at night,
a old sarong and a stuffed monkey,
that I still sleep with every night.
They hold the memories of my childhood,
and the childhood i'm still living.
The memories that I sometimes forget because of the new ones
I gain every single day.
I am from horsey rides, piggy backs,
and the times spend riding shoulders.
I am from the artist, the principle, and the caregiver.
I am from beliefs and values that stay with me in all that I do.
I am from the blisters, bruises and scars representing
hard work, commitment, pain and strength.
the same blisters that remind me to keep going,
that remind me to work hard for what I want.
I am from the mental scar that reminds me of the day
where the truth was revealed, and the demon inside of him was uncovered.
I am from the replay of that day.
It haunts me like a shadow sometimes.
but it keeps me going.
I am from that memory that tell me to keep going
and that not everything is what it seems.
I am from a place where nothing is as bad as it seems.
I am from the constant belief that everything happens for a reason.
Good or bad, it happened for a reason.
I am from those time when you’d think the whole world
was against you and you had no way out.
Then I remembered all the amazing things in life
and how much people loved me and how much I loved them and life.
I am from love and lost.
Win some lose some.
I was from pink and now i'm from purple.
Both represent different things that are within me
and what I love doing.
I am from a loud, free, active, bouncy, upbeat, complicated, painful, amazing, fabulous
life and thats just my world and my life.
And it’s everything about me and my past
that makes me who I am and where I’m from.


I wrote this poem about myself and where I come from. It was inspired by the original “Where I’m From’ poem by George Ella Lyon. This poem is really about my life and the memories and experiences I have had over the years. It mostly focuses on what I did as a child and the games and experiences I had. What I did is I didn’t want to hide everything in the poem because otherwise the poem would make no sense if it didn’t have any clues as to the meaning. So I just wrote out the truth. But in some parts where it gets more personal and the parts that were a big part of my life, I was more protective over it. I used metaphors and link what I was trying to say to other things to say what I wanted without showing too much. Throughout the poem I share things that have happened over to me over the ears and the things that I believe in.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, this is really personal, and there a lot of things in here that explain the many important features of your life.

    ~Eric (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eric. That was exactly what I was trying to do without giving to much information.

      Sammie <3

      Delete