Search This Blog

Sunday 13 January 2013

Singing Inspiration


When I was in grade 4, I performed at the esplanade theater with Global Voice, the primary school choir. It was one of the best if not the best performances. I love singing and I loved singing in choir with Mrs. Hess, A former teacher at UWCSEA. Performing there was amazing and I got to perform there with my friends that were also in choir which made it even better. The crowd was full of people that were waiting to hear us sing. One of the songs we did that night was "Heal the World" by Michael Jackson. Myself and a couple of the other kids in choir had a small solo. We sang the first verse of the song. I was really nervous but I loved every single second of it. Ever since I joined choir in grade 4, I new that I wanted to sing. So from then I performed in assemblies a couple of times singing a Maori song and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I loved it. Singing in front of people. Although I was a little bit nervous I knew this was something I really wanted to do. But for some reason around before grade 6 started when we moved from Ang Mo Kio campus to Tampines campus along with everyone else I didn't really want to perform in public outside of choir anymore. I don't really know why but I have been really shy about singing in front of people. In a way I hated it but I wanted to so badly. I guess I was scared of what people might think. I don't know, I never figured out why I'm scared but I know it's something that I want so who knows, maybe I will perform in public again soon. But even now I'm still shy about it. I don't have stage fright. I love acting on stage and performing just not singing for some weird reason. I do hope to get over that soon and even maybe perform? I don't know what the future holds.

Anyway, Mrs. Hess started working at the school when it first opened at Ang Mo Kio in 2008. I started at the school after the easter break that same school year. Before that I went to UWCSEA dover campus. I was in choir there but for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I did then and as much as I do now. Mrs. Hess got me back into singing and in grade 4 I joined choir. She is one of my inspirations for singing. From then on I have been in choir every single season since grade 4 and I have been singing since then. Show tought me a lot about myself and was always encouraging to do my best and to go for what I wanted. She helped me when I wanted to perform and when I was nervous before performing. She always looked out for me. So I spent time in the classroom and in choir with her learning more about singing and how to become a better performer. 3 years I spent with her, getting to know her and learning from her. I am so glad I met her. Sadly she left at the end of my grade 6 year, the first year UWCSEA tampines campus was opened. It was hard to say goodbye, but I knew it wouldn't be forever. Since then I have taken on vocal lessons with the wonderful Mrs. Stirrat who now does choir and I'm working on choir pieces, exam pieces, and a couple for fun with a friend of mine, Avni who also does vocal lessons. 

In a way, this is my story of the time I performed at the Esplanade theater and one of the amazing people that inspired and influenced my singing. I thank her for that and for everything she did for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Hess was so awesome, no one can't ever say no to that. If you do, than reserve a handicap spot for yourself, wherever. I was joking there, but I am not joking about Mrs. Hess being the best. I always knew I was not the best singer, but I enjoyed it. She made me sing in such a way, that I actually sounded good. I am so sad she left us. The one thing I remember from her, is the "Don't Mess with the Hess" poster on the wall. I never forget it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ya! I miss that poster :(

      Delete